Let me put a comment in here before we go to the next section. Jean and I both share a bit of distaste for the ever growing number of Prog and sub-genre labels. We both feel that the number of sub-sub-descriptive labels has simply grown out of control and is not really needed. So keeping to the generally accepted genre descriptions and place the active bands or artists into those categories, this time including the Prog Metal omitted from the numbers above here’s what the tally looks like:
· SYMPHONIC PROG (including Symphonic Prog per se + Neo Prog + Rock Progressivo Italiano) numbers 862 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 1,150 + active bands/artists.
· JAZZ ROCK/FUSION (including Jazz Rock/Fusion per se + Canterbury Scene + Zeuhl) numbers 523 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 700+ active bands/artists.
· PROG FOLK (including Prog Folk per se + Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) numbers 272 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 375+ active bands/artists.
· PROG METAL (including Prog Metal per se + Tech/Extreme Prog Metal + Experimental/Post Metal) numbers 1,792 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 2,350+ active bands/artists.
· PSYCHEDELIC/SPACE ROCK (including Psychedelic/Space Rock per se + Post Rock/Math Rock + Kosmische Musik/Krautrock) numbers 1,201 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 1,600+ active bands/artists.
· HEAVY PROGstands alone and numbers 336 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 450+ active bands/artists.
· HODGEPODGE PROG (including Crossover Prog + Eclectic Prog + Prog Related) numbers 1,477 active bands/artists. This number can be rounded up to at least 2,000+ active bands/artists.
When you add up the rounded-up numbers, you'll get 8,625 active prog bands/artists all over the world... but I tend to think that this number is still conservative.
As fans of the Progressive Rock genre, we should be so grateful for the amount of Prog music that we have access to here in 2018. The numbers of “active” prog bands currently providing us with new music is simply astounding. At over 8500 listings that’s certainly far more than I ever imagined. Now, its one thing to “know” there’s a lot of prog out there, that in and of itself is really something, but here in 2018 with the latest technology we all have so much easy access to it. Back in the day, don’t you like that phrase, I had to order “import” albums at quite a high cost to me or make a trip to England in order to find out what was new and being recorded. Today it’s a simple as sitting in front of the computer. WOW! We are truly being spoiled. So I for one am truly grateful not just that Prog is Still Alive and Kicking in 2018 but at how much of it is out there for me to experience. It’s a great time to be a Progressive Rock music fan, don’t you think? I’d love to know how you feel about it. Let me know what you think.